We want to train an Associate Director in the “Tricky Hat way”, to widen our base of artists who can deliver Flames Guerilla sessions in the future. This is paid training that is about investing in the future of Tricky Hat and the Flames and a commitment to that. This is not a general CPD opportunity.
Who are the Flames? What is a Guerilla Session?
Tricky Hat’s Company The Flames is a performance company for people aged 50 and over. The artists and performers collaborate to create high-quality multimedia public shows based on their stories, ideas, hopes, and dreams.
The Flames work at pace, exploring ideas and devising in partnership with Tricky Hat’s artists. The work is created over The Guerilla sessions, just five sessions, before being performed in front of an audience. Previous events have been inspired by themes such as love, loss, sex, murder, climate change, and life-changing decisions. The company uses performance, film, and specially composed music to explore stories about life after fifty, challenging our perceptions of aging.
Each Guerilla session consists of five workshops, one day of dress rehearsals, and one day of performances (matinee/evening), followed by ‘meet the artists and performers’ networking. The artistic process begins with opening questions with elicit information on experiences important to the participants. This structure supports a devising process, under the direction of Artistic Director, Fiona Miller. Associate Artists focus on the expression of ideas, using their artform expertise to connect the stories with audiences.
Call for Associate Director
Tricky Hat works with a range of people from different backgrounds, our practice is inclusive and offers a safe space to work in. We find a creative and credible voice through participation in high-quality, collaborative, cross-arts events alongside high-caliber artists. Therefore, we are looking for a Director with a minimum of 4 years of professional experience, who can work in collaboration with other artists to co-produce live performances. The training each artist will receive involves being mentored by, and working alongside, the Artistic Director and Associate Artists on A Flames Guerilla Session.
The Tricky Hat team of artists creates new, multi-media, and recorded performances in direct response to the people we collaborate with. We work quickly and never know the content of the performance when we start a Flames Guerilla Session.
We are seeking an Associate Director who is skilled in their art form. We wish to identify collaborators who share similar values and principles in working with older people, in an ambitious and respectful way, and who are good communicators and collaborators.
Fee: £2,400 (£150 p/day x 16 days)
Mentored by Tricky Hat Artistic Director, Fiona Miller; the Associate Director should have experience in leading projects and creating performances, and should be able to devise with no script in response to performers and other artists; be an excellent collaborator, and have the ability to work quickly.
The Associate Director will be mentored through 2 of the following Guerilla Sessions, and must attend the following:
The Renfield Centre, Glasgow: Saturday 10th December 2022, 11am – 4pm – programme introduction
- Saturday 14th January 2023, 11am – 12.30: Information Session
- Saturday 21st January 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 28th January 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 4th February 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 11th February 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 18th February 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Friday 24th February 2023, 10am – 5pm: Rehearsal
- Saturday 25th February 2023, 3pm & 7pm: Performances
Reconnect Regal Theatre, Bathgate
- Wednesday 22nd February 2023, 11am – 12.30pm: Information Session
- Wednesday 8th March 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Wednesday 15th March 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Wednesday 22nd March 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Wednesday 29th March 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Thursday 30th March 2023, 11am – 4pm: Rehearsal
- Friday 31st March 2023, time TBC: x1 performance
Centre of Contemporary Arts, Glasgow
- TBC: Information Session
- Saturday 6th May 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 13th May 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 20th May 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 27th May 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Saturday 3rd June 2023, 11am – 4pm: Session
- Friday 9th June 2023, 11am – 4pm: Rehearsal
- Saturday 10th June 2023, 3pm & 7pm: Performances
The Fire Practice programme will start on Saturday 10th December 2022, 11am to 4pm in The Renfield Centre, 260 Bath St, Glasgow, G2 4JP with the Tricky Hat team and a group of Flames. All artists must be available to attend the session.
After this mentoring process, the Associate Director will be hired on a freelance basis for sporadic work each year with the Company, delivering 1 or 2 sessions a year on a mutually agreed basis, working flexibly around other projects/work commitments that the Associate Director may have.
How to Apply
If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an informal chat with our Artistic Director. With your email, please include a current CV. The deadline is by 12 noon, Thursday 8th December